Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Reshma Henna

Purchased
 


Hi Guys!

Today I want to talk about Henna Dye and my experience with it. Growing up my mom always told me to NEVER dye my hair. She had never done it so I never questioned her. A couple of years ago I dyed the ends of my hair for fun but only did that because I was getting ready to cut it. Other than that time I've never dyed by curly black hair. I've heard that your hair is never the same once you have dyed it and that's not something I want to put my hair through right now.

If you follow me on instagram then you've seen me post about my gray hair. I first started seeing them when I was 19 and it became an issue when I was 21/22 (I'm 25). Sadly, this is something my dad has passed on to me and my brother. When I was 21 I started plucking them out since they were only my bangs. At the moment I didn't see an issue with plucking but I eventually realized that if I continued to pluck them I would eventually get bald spots so I stopped. I discovered theBalm's hair mascara which I'll talk about in a different post. That worked for awhile until there started being more grays than I could touch up.

Since my grays were getting out of control and I didn't want to damage my hair with dye I decided I would let the grays grow out and I would TRY to embrace them. My best friend told me it shows character and her brother told me I looked like Rogue from X-Men and thought it was really cool (he wanted me to dye a full streak so it would be just like Rogue). So here I am trying to embrace this new look and my boss tells me that I've been showing a lot of gray hair lately and I started with my schpeel...."yea, i know. I get it from my dad. I'm scared to dye it" She told me she grayed early too but that she heard henna is a good alternative. When I went home that day I was googled henna dye and I kept seeing that Lush carried henna in a solid block form. I read mixed reviews and was unsure if I should buy it. I ended up holding off on it until I could go to the store and ask an associate about it.

Fast forward a couple days later. I went to Sallys to buy things I really didn't need. I was walking around the store looking for more things to buy and ended up in the aisle with the dyes. I ended asking the associate if they sold any and she took me to a different aisle I tried asking her about the product since I was a bit nervous but she said she was not too familiar with it. They had black, midnight blue, and a red. What she did say is that she heard that this didn't make you hair bleed. I swear I felt like the emoji with the heart eyes. When I had dyed my ends I didn't know that the color would bleed onto my towels and clothes (I ended up ruining a bunch of shirts and cardigans)! That day I bought the Reshma Henna in Natural Black box to try at home.

Keep Reading to see my results....

What you need to know:
Name: Reshma Henna
Found at: Sally Beauty Store
Color used: Natural Black
Price: $8.00

How to use it:
1) Mix the henna powder in a bowl with water to create a paste.

2) Use the brush it comes with to apply the paste on your CLEAN/WASHED hair.



I used about half the pouch for the front of my head. The box recommends to leave it on for 30 minutes. I left it on for minutes. The henna does not sting but it does STINK. The first time I tried it I almost couldn't get past the smell. I don't know how to describe the smell but it was a bad odor. I've used it about 4 times since then and I don't mind the smell as much. After the 45 minutes I rinsed my hair until the water ran clear and then followed up with shampoo and conditioner.
My before (top) and after (bottom)

Why you should get it: A better alternative than chemical hair dye. It's a great way to try a different color or cover up those annoying grays. The box says that the results last 3-6 weeks. For me, it's about 3 weeks ONLY because when I see grays peeking I make sure to redye. I do have to say the Natural Black is a deep black color. If you do not have dark/black hair do not use the product. Use one of the other colors.

Extras:
There's only two things I don't like about the product: 1) the smell 2) I've noticed that my hair feels a bit dry after I dye it. I would recommend following up with some sort of hair oil to moisturize. Those two things will NOT stop me from using this product. Also, about a month ago I tried the Natural Midnight blue on my grays and it turned them into a copper color. I wouldn't recommend that color if you're trying to cover up gray hair.

They also have the following colors:
It comes in Natural Highlights, Natural Dark brown, Natural Burgundy,
Natural Midnight Blue,  and Natural Wine Red.
I'm really pleased with the product I've been using it for about 3 months and will continue to repurchase.


I hope you guys enjoyed this post. I'd love to hear if you've ever tried henna and how it has worked for you on in the comment section below or on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment